Monday, July 26, 2010

yo ho! yo ho!.....‏ July 26, 2010

Well....it looks like Monday from now on will be our new official p-day..
So here's the weekly news from your favorite Pirate of the Caribbean:

It has been quite the week, as we spent a few days trying to work in a little village about 20 minutes from Fernão Velho that is pretty hidden in the jungle...
I had never even heard about this place until this week.. It is called Matadouro, It's a cool little place....you know, a few interested people, bunch of dogs and little kids running all over the place... and a gigantic pig!!!! Yea, I´ll have to send some pictures.
Not too sure how well things will go in this new little place. But up here in the Barrio Colina we have been having a lot more success, especially since it is a lot closer to the church.
It looks like this week we will baptize a mother and her 2 daughters. Her name is Anna, and her daughters are Gabi (18 yrs.) and Aninha (13yrs.). They are really loving the messages and visits to the church. The two daughters are a lot firmer than the mother, but I have faith that all will go well this weekend.
We are also teaching two other great families, Genildo and his wife Eliege; and Luciano and Célia... both have only one younger-aged child.
Genildo and his wife went to church on Sunday for the first time. They loved it, but it looks like he may start working on Sundays. They are reading the Book of Mormon and are very interested in baptism, but I don't think that we will be able to baptize them if he starts working on Sundays. Pray for them, I really feel like this family will soon enter into the church. I just hope that I will be here for it.
--Luciano, was so interested in our message! When we taught him about the restoration of the church and Joseph Smith, his mouth literally dropped open and he couldn´t stop´asking questions. I always love seeing that. He is a very cool guy, but works on the "SAMU" which is the ambulance here, so he is always on the run.... They are so excited to go to church on Sunday...
The work is going great. Elder Neuberger is pretty much the man!! We are making a lot of plans for our group to keep in touch after the mission, especially E. Neuberger, E. Whitehead, and I, you will love these guys!
In Maceio there was a huge "helping hands" project on Saturday, where we had a huge blood drive! I think it was actually my first time giving blood....holy junk!... that needle was way bigger than those ones that you used to practice on me steve!!!! kinda felt like they were shoving a pencil into my arm. But hey, all for a good cause right?

I almost forgot, last p-day we went to a national market that they had in Maceio.... it was really cool to see handmade items from all over the world.... India, Germany, China, Guatemala, Africa, etc... I was pretty amazed at the Peru section!
Well, hope all goes well for you guys. Have fun next week up in Bear Lake without me.....again......kkkkk.....but really hope you all have a blast
Pray for us to baptize these families.....!!!!!!!!!!!
love you all,
Elder "jack sparrow" Olson