Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Opa‏! June 30, 2010

I feel like I am slowly becoming Americanized again with my comp fresh from the states.
It is funny to see how much I have forgotten, or how Brazilian that I have become. But that´s just part of the ride I guess.
Elder Messer and I are doing great, he is a good companion and I am happy to be serving with him.
This week all of the missionaries in Maceio united for a giant "helping hands project". We took a bus to a little city called Branquinha, that was 90% destroyed by the flood that passed through a few weeks back.
It was a great experience. We cleaned mud out of a little school so there would be a refuge for the homeless and helped stock up supplies for the needy people.
We spent practically the whole day there. It was sad to see so much destruction. The city is completely devastated, yet many are working to build this back up.
There was quite a number of cities that were hit; I was glad that we could help out a little.
I spent the whole day by the side of my MTC group as we cleaned the school and walked through the town helping people. I am sure that you will come to know them better.
There is Elder Neuberger (from Missouri), Elder Whitehead (from Colorado), and Elder Deurden (from Idaho). We have grown pretty close over the mission and plan to keep in contact. I really love these guys like brothers.
We are teaching a small group of people. On Monday night we taught a kid that is 19 years old who lives close to the bishop. He is such a smart guy and I know that the message really touched him. We felt the Spirit very strong and marked his baptism for the 17th. I feel strongly that he will enter into the water!
The bishop here is great, by far one of the most helpful ones yet. When I first met him he reminded me of someone, but i couldn't tell who. Who ever it is, he seems like a Brazilian reincarnation of someone back home.
I know that the church is true and that the Lord's work will always go forth. I love the mission and am so grateful for this opportunity to learn, serve, and grow.
love you all,
Elder Olson