Well it has been quite the interesting week here.
So Monday and Tuesday were the big days of Carneval, and all of the other days of last week just built up to the event. If I could describe it with one word, I would just have to say "madness"!!!
The streets turn into a party and everyone is either half-naked or drunk, but usually both. I think it´s actually a funny tradition. All of the younger people are armed with rotten eggs, flour, cornmeal, and dye to throw on each other and all who pass by. (so we had to choose a careful route each day). Lucky we dodge getting into any mess.
One thing that I loved however, was the "dancing bull parade". It is where there is a giant bull costume piloted by 1 person; all around the bull are drummers (with drums of all different styles) beating a heavy jungle beat, as the bull dances back and forth. It is pretty funny to watch.
Although the larger part of the city was drunk, traveling, or partying; Elder Castro and I were still able to work hard and find some great people to teach.
The main part of our area is a poorer barrio of Maceio, but the people here are great. The Pele stadium is about 10 minutes by foot from our area.
Elder Castro and I are getting along great, I can already see that we are going to have a great transfer together. He is from a city in Uruguay called Riveira, that is on the border of Uruguay and Brasil. He is a true blue gaucho, just as Joe must have met on his mission.
I am happy and grateful that the Lord has put us together to work in this area, I know that we will help many souls come unto the true Gospel of Christ.
I know that the church is true, and that the Lord speaks to our Prophet Thomas S. Monson, to lead and guide our lives on a much happier path.
Thank you so much for your love and support..
your bubba,
-Elder Olson
p.s. Just to let you know of the things that have been sent,
-all I have received until now is grandmas package(tell her thanks for me).
-also I used my card today to develop some photos.
tchau..