Letter sent home by Elder Matthew Olson, 23 December 2009/ received 25 January 2010
Hey Family,
Well, here it is... The time of the year when we think about presents, snow, and a bearded fat man that rides around on a magical sled pulled by deer. It's quite the holiday!!!
Here in Brasil, things are a little different...There are few presents, no snow and Santa may have missed a few kids here. Yet the spirit of the holiday is here. Unfortunately, there are many others that believe that Christmas is a day to spend drinking and listening to music as loud as the Boom Box will play.
It is amazing how much I have come to appreciate the small truths that the gospel provides us. The world's knowledge is limited and unsure. Although it may seem attractive; the way of the world leaves us hopeless, without peace, and with a dark future. Only Jesus Christ gives us the assurance of something much better than any treasure upon the earth, “where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal.” He gives us the promise of an Eternal treasure. Which is truly the greatest present that one can receive.
However, as I thought of a few Christmas traditions that we gained from the 3 wise men. I remembered that Christmas is not about what we receive, but that which we give. The wise men sought Christ; bearing the long and tireless journey, so that they would be able to give their precious gifts to the “Son of Man”. And then that is when I realized that just any gift is not sufficient for the Savior of the world. No, he doesn't want just any gift, but he wants our TREASURE; that which we hold dear to us in our lives. “For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also”(Matt 6:21). He says that because He wants our heart. Our full and complete devotion, willing to sacrifice what we hold most dear in our lives, our treasure, and give it to Him. Wouldn't it be so much easier if our treasure was something that we were already preparing to give to the Lord? Our time? Our money? Our faith? Or how about ourselves? Are we willing to give that last and hardest portion, or are we as the rich young man who could not give up his riches or surrender himself fully to the Savior?
The Savior left it clear for us:
“Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked[Jesus] a question...Master,which is the greatest commandment in the Law? Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord they God with all thy heart, with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.” (Matt 22: 35-37).
He does not ask us for half of our hearts, nor 99% of our mind, but He wants all of it.
There are many wonderful things that we can do for the Lord, and there are many things that we can give Him; however, the first commandment of the Lord is not suspended just because of our vigorous pursuit of a lesser good. Yet our submission to Him in the end is a victory. There is a song that I heard not too long ago, I don't know the name of it , but it always helps me remember how close the Lord is when I need Him.
Here am I, Here I'll be. If your searching for the truth you will find it in me.
Lift your eyes, trust your heart. Give me your faith and your healing will start.
Here am I, Can't you see, When your falling, fall towards me.
I will be there to lift you up, Here am I. (Unknown author)
Jesus Christ is our light in the darkness; only through Him may we have Eternal Life. What an honor an a privilege it is to be here and represent Him. I cannot think of anything that would be as rewarding as the time that I have spent here. My mission has been much more than an opportunity to help God's children. But also a moment for me to come to a better understanding of my Savior, “For how knoweth a man the master whom he has not served, and who is a stranger unto him, and is far from the thoughts and intents of his heart?(Mosiah 5:13)
This has been my chance to better know the Lord, and give Him my heart.
I love you all so much. Merry Christmas!
Elder Olson