Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Estou Vivo!‏ November 4, 2009

The past few weeks have been a bit strange here.
So when I first arrived here in Benedito Bentes to serve in the Gurguri Ward, there were two companionships working, but one was sent home which put me and my companion, Elder C. Santos in a trio with Elder Youngberg. After a few weeks Elder Youngberg was emergency transferred and Elder C Santos and I recieved another companion named ELder Rabelo. He and I entered into the MTC together, so I already knew him a little. He is a great guy, from Forteleza (that´s where they are building the new temple here). Then a few days ago we received one more elder to help out here, named Elder G. Rocha from São Paulo. The work here is going well. We are working alot with the members and having alot of success with the references that they are giving. WOW, it is a whole lot better to get references than to spend an entire day knocking doors, in the sun, until you find someone to teach. Trust me I know.
The members really are great here and are feeding us very well:) Last night we taught a lesson to a lady Who visited the church this Sunday with her recent convert friend, Leila, and her family. Leila and her husband Marcos, have a little 6 yr old boy that is down syndrome, named Marcelo. He is hilarious, and gets along great with the missionaries. As we were in the middle of teaching the lesson, little Marcelo pointed out a huge cockroach (which is pretty common here) near Elder Rabelo. Little did we know that Elder Rabelo is terrified of cockroaches!! I don’t know how.. but the next thing I knew, Elder Rabelo had jumped over 3 or more chairs and was running out the front door! Everyone got a good laugh out of it.
One of the men that we baptized a few weeks ago, named Sr. Elias, who is a hilarious 69 yr old, has been prodding his neighbors and wife to go to church. He always jokes with his wife about the “trip” that they will make to Recife (which is where the nearest temple is). Through Elias we were able to meet and baptize a few of his neighbors and help them become new members of this marvelous church. Still his wife has been a bit of a challenge, however she is a great friend to us, which helps. Its only a matter of time. Sadly, the church is criticized and mocked by almost everyone that does not belong to it here. A lot of the time I think that it is hard for people to visit the church or to really hear our message and accept our challenge because of all the mockery and horrible gossip that everyone spreads about the church.
Last p-day I met up with Elders Ramos/Silva/Neuberger/Whithead and a few others and we took a train to an inner city called Rio Largo. We spent the day and visited a waterfall that is near the city. Elder Neuberger and Whitehead are some of my favorite elders here. we got to be close friends in the MTC. I love all of the Elders from my MTC group, they are people that I know I will continue to see after the mission (we are always planning camping trips and such for after the mission everytime we are together, but I guess we´ll see when we get home, eh?)
Here in a bit we will go to the chapel to teach a reference from a returned missionary named Tiago that served in Rio De Janeiro, wow, that would be a crazy mission! Then we will play some volleyball and soccer… so I better go.
Thanks for everything, I hope you know how much I miss you all.
I am so greatful to be here, and to be able to help these brazilian people truly come to know Jesus Christ. I know that he truly is our Savior. The Book of Mormon is a Light for those that are lost in the darkness and confusion of the world, I know that it truly is the word of God. I am proud to say that God has once again called a prophet on the earth, but not just to say it, to know it, and to feel it.
God loves me, as well as all of you. Sometimes I think that He is way too good to us.
Take care, and carry on!
Valeu,-Elder Olson