Thursday, April 9, 2009

April 8, 2009





Hey everyone,
Wow it is good to hear from you all. Thank you so much for your letters and e-mails, it is always a great help for me.
Good luck Sarah and Blake with the move, the house looks awesome, also thanks for the pic of Tai and your new puppy!- It´s always good to see your faces.
So, Dan and Sara, yesterday I finally got the Valentines day cards from you. It´s a bit inconvinient that the mail takes 1 million years to get here (more or less). But thanks a bunch. I sure do miss everyone.
So this week has been interesting. We are having a tough time getting any new investigators, however, we are helping some incredible people. The only problem is that with these people, it will take a while to help get them to baptism, but they are definately on their way.
This week we have been teaching about the plan of salvation alot. Wow, what an awesome thing it is to know this plan. I am so happy to help others understand this and realize God´s purpose for us.
Conference was incredible, eh? I wasn´t able to watch every session. But what we were able to see was great. My testimony of a living Prophet, Apostles and revelation has grown so much as I have been here. It is a privelidge that I think is often overlooked: to hear the voice of the Prophet. I am so greatful that we have their inspiration to help us. It was funny- during the priesthood session I was sitting to the side of Clovis Costa, the brother of Claudio Costa who was speaking during conference. Yeah, he is one of the members here in Estancia. He is a great guy.
Today was pretty cool. We explored a new part of the city that is near the river. It was awesome (to say the least), lots of jungle, lots of boats, and fishing. Then we found a trail that went off into the hills a bit where we found a few little huts inhabited by people working in the nearby limestone quarries. It was pretty sweet, we watched as they blew up parts of the rock with homemade explosives, and then chiseled out they blocks needed.
So this week we finally got a basic phone to use on the streets so that we can call the members and also help out the sister missionaries more. However, we were robbed of it the other day. SO, I guess we´ll just see what happens, eh?
Also, I did a division this week in Aracajú. It was okay, but I think that I am more of a countyside type of guy. Being in the packed city is not exactly what I prefer. Yet I am sure that I will spend most the rest of the mission in bigger cities.
I am so excited for the dedication of the new chapel here! Ah, it will be so nice. However it will be dedicated the last sunday of this transfer, so I will only get to go there once (most likely)-. Pretty sure this is my last transfer in Estância. Well, Easter is coming..! Everyone here makes these giant chocolate eggs that are way good. Other than that, the only other tradition is that they hang a stuffed dummy on a telephone pole (symbolizing Judas Iscariot). They will usually write something on the shirt, like "carniça" which means good for nothing or road kill. Also, the catholics have some traditions where they can only eat fish and other weird things. So I guess Easter will be good.
Well, I gotta go. I love you all.
Also mom, I dont think that the card will make it in time, but happy b-day. Love you a bunchaté a próxima.
-Elder Olson
p.s.- here´s some pictures of our adventures today...Desfrute!