Thursday, September 24, 2009

Sept. 23, 2009 Yapois..!‏





Over the past week we have been working in a little part of town that is a bit far away from the center. It´s a poor little mud-hut community that lives in the hills. There are a few other places like it here, but I had never been to this little nook of the city. It is up in the hills, just spread out all over the place, a system of little dirt trails leading to each house. It is good work, but it is also very difficult because they are so simple, and somewhat used to a type of life that requires no effort. However, the gospel requires effort on our part. The family that we have been helping is doing well. We have hit many trials and overcome many obstacles. Yet in the end all has worked out. I have learned that as long as we do our work and pray diligently, the Lord will help us conquer any goliath!
Today I took Elder Dinwiddie, along with a few other Elders to one of the more distant and not as well known waterfalls. wow! I think that I had forgotten how beautiful the trail, as well as the waterfall is. (I think my comp was a little blown away by the whole trip--> but really who wouldn´t be!) We had a great time, but are very tired.
All is good with us. I am so grateful to have such an awesome and easygoing companion that loves to work when we need to work, and loves to play when p-day rolls around.
Well, it is already really late. We had to leave for the church earlier and prepare for an activity that we had with a group of local Capoeira fighters/dancers. t was way cool. But I am just about asleep as I finish sending this e-mail that I was writing earlier. Oh hey, almost forgot, we saw a cowboy tournament the other day as we passed in the street. I think that it is the same sport that is in that movie "the man from snowy river"--where they have a long sharp stick and have to put it through a small ring as they speed by on the horse. It was pretty sweet.
Well I love you all and hope that all goes well.
-Falou,-Elder Olson