Hey everyone,
Well, I have survived the first week, maybe with a few battle wounds or so but it has been great. We ride bikes everywhere! (until they break down..which happens alot) Our area is pretty huge... almost all of the roads here are either made of a very rough, uneven cobblestone; or just dirt.(i think that there is maybe 2-3 paved roads. it´s pretty sweet.. we usually have to share the road with many horses, chickens, dogs, wagons pulled by horses, other bikes, naked kids playing soccer, or beat up buses (and they are exactly like you said Blake).
It is great here, and so beautiful.. I wish I had pictures but I havn´t really had time to take any. It may be extremely poor and dirty everywhere but i love it nonetheless. The views are spectacular.. most houses are maybe a little bigger than a common bedroom, and each houses a large family. People have almost nothing, yet what more do you really need than family.
Elder Gonçalves is awesome.. what a great missionary. I could not ask for a better comp. he has a certain way with people and is very sincere.
Well, on Saturday we had 3 baptisms.. Gil, Thaica, and Marcos Alan. It was great, they already had committed before I got here but I was able to get to know them.(mostly all Elder Gonçalves´s doing) This Friday we have 4 more baptisms.. all great people with a great desires. I am very excited!
The people here are very accepting of the gospel but they are very simple. Many people cannot even read, for this reason we have to teach very simply and explain a lot. I have a testimony already that this work is true, already.. The members here are incredible.. we spend most of the day teaching with 1-2 members. It is amazing to see their dedication and faith in this work. I love them all so much..
The food is good.. I have never eaten such good rice and beans - sometimes there is more, but i couldn´t explain to you what it was.
Well, this has been quite a week.. probably the longest week of my life.i dont think that anyone can really understand how difficult missionary work is until they actually do it. it is difficult... mentally, physically, all of the above. Yet I am happy. I still struggle in the language alot, the people here speak very very fast and sloppy.
I am grateful for your support, and the advice you all give me from your missions. It helps immensely. I miss you all so much.. and I hope that all is going well back home.
Take care..-elder olson
p.s.-send things only to the mission home address because it will definately be stolen if you send it here.
Mission Home:
Av. Dom Antonio Brandão 333, sala 402ED. work center - Farol Maceió - AL 57051-190