Monday, September 29, 2008

First Letter home -Sept 10,2008

Letter from Matthew- Sept 10, 2008
Hey Mom and Dad,
Well I am supposed to write you this to tell you that I am okay and that I made it here safely, but I think you already knew that I would.
The past 2 days have been the longest 2 days of my life and I have been running off a mere 1 ½ hrs of sleep.
As it turns out, I did meet up with a few elders in Salt Lake and we picked up a few more in Dallas. They are all really funny and great young men. We were able to talk and get to know each other a lot better during the 10 hr. flight to Sao Paulo.
During the flight something cool happened…One of the flight attendants started talking to me because apparently I reminded her a lot of her son. I began to talk with her for a while, I told her where we all were going and what serving a mission means. She was a little interested. I guess her son had just started dating a mormon girl. Needless to say she had a lot of questions.
I told her about the Book of Mormon and about Joseph Smiths role in the restoration. I also explained the apostasy.
I gave her a small Book of Mormon and my pass-along card. She told me that she was interested and that she really wanted to try to keep an open mind. Well… I hope it will help her out.
It’s a little weird … I don’t really feel like a missionary. It felt great to share the gospel with the lady, but I don’t know… this is hard/
My first day at the MTC was okay. We took a tour of the building and the surrounding neighborhood. The people are very poor in this area.
Things seem a little packed here, even in the MTC. My room is a little bigger that my room back home. There are 6 of us. My companion’s name is Elder Holmes. He is a big funny kid. There is also an Elder Neuberger from St. Louis, he reminds me of Jason Moffat. He is a lot of fun.
Well it’s a bit discouraging, but I think that’s just because it’s the first day. I know I’m in the right place though. Thanks for all the letters, they really helped me out today.
Love ya all- Elder Olson
UPDATE OF ADDRESS:
Elder Matthew Howard Olson
Box 31 District 37-B
Brazil Maceio
Rua Padre Antonio D’Angelo, 121
Casa Verde, Sao Paulo, SP
Brazil 02516-040